When we bought it, it was the "laundry room" but it was so completely out of place it looked weird. The cabinets were circa 1983 with a dryer that looked like that vintage but a new-ish washer. There was the same bizarre brick-like tile as in the kitchen. And, the plumbing looked "newer" than the rest of the house. To cap it all off, it was adjacent to a FULL bath, with jack-and-jill doors.
After finding the original plans, we discovered that it was a fourth bathroom (or third, if you count what is marked as "bedroom #1" above as an office. In the original plans it is marked as a bedroom:
It is super tiny, though. Our speculation is that it was a small maid's quarters, which would explain the full bathroom there. The jack-and-jill doors would also suggest that the bath doubled as a powder room for guests.
A short discussion with one of the surviving children of the former owner, revealed that the laundry had originally been in the basement but moved upstairs in 1978 when his parents bought the place to accommodate the fact that his mother had broken her ankle and couldn't navigate stairs well. That would explain the "circa 1983" cabinets. Probably circa 1979 or so.
We are planning on stealing some of the room from the full bath and making it a half bath/powder room (we don't have a live in maid or nanny), and giving it a bit of a makeover for a proper laundry / mud room as shown previously.
I wanted to do some more demo on my own, so I tackled the appliances and the cabinets. Before during (I thought I had taken some "before" photos but I cannot locate them??!!):
I removed the lower cabinets. Here is the first out along with the counter top.
Horrible angle, but behind that floor-to-ceiling cabinet pictured left is the corner cabinet removed.
I ended up leaving the uppers in place because they were nailed rather than screwed to the wall and I was concerned that, crowbar in one hand and only one free hand to support the cabinet, that it would spell disaster! Best to leave that to the pros.
I'll take a few more photos of that room cleaned out of everything but the upper cabinets tomorrow, when I meet the asbestos-removal crew.

No comments:
Post a Comment