Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Shiny Bathroom Update

While the real professionals are tending to the real upgrades, I've been pretending to be my own mini-Bob Villa with our second bathroom.  Margot calls this the "shiny" bathroom (owing to the reflective wallpaper) but I've shied away from calling it that (knowing that I was going to remove that wallpaper), and instead refer to it as "the Pink Bathroom" or "the girls bathroom" or "your bathroom."

Structurally, it will not change much at all.  I'm swapping the existing faucets -- 8" spread, two-knob -- for a single-hole.  This:


Will get this:


 And look a bit like this:


Several "lessons" learned from this DIY

1.  My clearance was not sufficient to operate the faucet back against the wall, so I've got to mount it on an angle.  Whoops.

2.  The supply lines are a funny size, so I'm going to have to shell out $20-30 for adapters (as well as the time chasing them down), so the "bargain" is less of a bargain, although pretty stellar still at $35 / faucet.

3.  Measure your dang size for the faucet opening.  I didn't and now I'm going to have to mount them on the right or left holes rather than center.  (shhh, later, I'll describe this to people as a 'feature' rather than a 'bug' i.e,. a funky "design choice").

As for the removal of that heinous wallpaper.  I've got about 3/4 of it stripped from the walls and pass number two will remove it from the ceiling.  Then patch some of the plaster damage (from water previously, not from me, miraculously).  Then prime. Then paint.

From there, swap out the shower fixture and re-caulk everything and we should have a serviceable bathroom for a while before "Phase 2" starts.


Shiny wallpaper scored but otherwise intact.


Shower / tub area with wallpaper removed down to the glue on plaster (above the tile), removed to the plaster (adjacent to the tile) and only shiny topcoat peeled off in the far left of the photo.

The wallpaper came off in more or less four layers.  1.  Shiny top.  2.  White second coat.  3.  Tan undercoat of paper. 4.  Glue on plaster.


Stripped to the glue above the shower.  Shiny still intact on the ceiling.


Various states of removal.


More to come as we proceed . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment